Each spring, as Americans head for the great outdoors, millions of volunteers rally for the nation’s largest annual community improvement program. It’s a great way to enjoy some fresh air, spend quality time with the family, meet new friends and make a difference in your community’s environment. Over 15,000 communities across the nation are rallying to clean up, green up and fix up their neighborhoods. Their combined efforts preserve America’s natural beauty for all to enjoy.
Keeping America beautiful does not have to be a daunting task; there are many ways to lend a hand. People can get involved by joining in one or more of the 30,000 Great American Cleanup activities taking place throughout all 50 states through the end of May. Anytime of the year, you can follow these five steps for combating litter, reducing waste and beautifying communities:
• Recycle. Find out how to recycle in your area and do your part. Also, try to “complete the loop” by purchasing recycled products whenever possible.
• Reuse the products you can. There are hundreds of uses for everyday items such as plastic grocery bags, food and beverage containers or scrap paper.
• Properly dispose of cigarette butts. If you smoke, carry a personal ashtray and always use public ashtrays when smoking outdoors. Quitting smoking is good for both your health and the environment.
• Create a beautiful green space by planting trees, flowers and shrubs in an area in need of improvement in your community.
• Teach a child about personal responsibility, the environment and recycling. It’s important that future generations understand and respect the environment. Hands-on community improvement events like the Great American Cleanup are a great way to spend some time with the kids.
America’s companies are also dedicated to supporting and sponsoring the efforts for the 2006 Great American Cleanup. The 2006 Great American Cleanup National Sponsors are American Honda Motor Company, Inc., Firestone Complete Auto Care