Letters are among the most popular means of communication throughout history. People loved exchanging messages through letters especially those that come far away. By now, letters were given new and different functions, most notable of which would be in business. Among the most popular type of business-related letters is the sales letter because it is a very important tool for reaching customers and prospects. This is why sales letter writing has been deemed to be a very important aspect in marketing.
Many entrepreneurs have observed the power of sales letter writing in capturing a significant portion of the market. As such, many businesspersons went their way on writing their own sales letters. Alas, not all of these aspirants were able to succeed with the materials they wrote. Some of these letters were not effectively written and were seen not to work as well as the others. It is thus important to know what makes of a good sales letter before writing one.
Here are some useful tips in sales letter writing:
– Gain Your Readers’ Trust: When your readers receive your mail, they should be able to put confidence in you so that they would feel safe to establish some business relations with you. The most common technique of doing so is by putting testimonials in sales letters to let people know of others who swear by your offerings. You may employ other tactics to gain people’s trust, what is important is for them to bank on what you say.
– Show That You Are Credible: Trust is just one step for people to give you some of their time, you also need to show them that you have something truthful to say to them. You should be able to show them that what you offer delivers its promise. Good means of doing this is by including scientific studies, successful stories and other materials that exhibit the truth in what you say. You need to show it more than you need to talk about it.
– The Letter should be Memorable: You can almost always expect people not to pay attention to your sales letter immediately. They simply might not need your product at the time they receive your letter, or they might not just be interested. However, this does not automatically mean that the sales letter is a failure – people can still respond to your sales letter after days, months, or years as long as they would remember it. If you can make your sales letter memorable, chances are the reader would be able to remember your products when the time comes that they are needed.
– Catch Attention: While looks are usually underestimated, it is important to make your sales letter writing very attractive whether you use visuals or not. It is not at all impossible to catch attention with mere words alone. Use bold statements that tickle your readers’ fancy. A boring letter would just end up in the trash with other junk mail. Be sure to make your sales letter writing upbeat and interesting so that your prospects would be enticed to read on and know more about what you offer.
– Give Clear Instructions: Winning trust, appearing credible, making your letter memorable, and catching attention is not enough for effective sales letter writing. It is important for your readers to be informed what they should do next by giving them clear instructions on how they could respond to your sales letter. Be sure to include how they can contact you and make it easy and convenient for them by leaving a mailing address, email, website, fax, or phone number where they can reach you easily. Of course you have to make sure that these are working well so you would not miss any customer.
– Give Rewards: People love bonuses whenever they purchase something. You can offer gifts, discounts, and other promotional offers to your customers. You can also give rewards to those who respond immediately so that you can easily reap profits from your sales letter writing.
– Reach Your Reader Personally: It could be very tempting for you to just hit the mail merge option of your word processor. However, they can make your sales letter writing very detached and unappealing. People like to be addressed personally and it is best to reach them as individuals.
Good sales letter writing is essential for today’s business. With it, you are several steps toward profitable success.